Sunday, July 16, 2006

Knight Skewer Manifesto

Knight Skewer is a log of what I have learned and I will continue adding to posts as I learn more. If you find a particular post helpful or interesting please check back as I will update them frequently.

Please comment often. Do not hesitate to correct a grammer or notation error.

I use algebraic notation. Although I understand traditional notation, algebraic is the easiest to write and read in my opinion.

Please do not advertise any other site or blog in your comments.

I have played chess in fits and jumps for about decade now. Learning as a child from my father and brother and moving on to playing occasionally in coffee shops and bars circa 2000. 02 to 04 I played a lot. Probably too much since it took a toll on my relationship of the time. Playing in coffee shops and sometimes against some random University of Wisconsin Milwaukee chess club members on tuesday nights in the union. Milwaukee is scattered with very good players and my good freind Rob and I found most them in those two years. Many artistic players aswell. Most notably "Homeless" Charlie who without any practice or training frequently mated players officially ranked over 1600. Also "old man" Jim who restarted his chess playing after atleast 25 years of living life to the fullest. A child chess prodigy he chose a more adventurous lifestyle than the typical chess geek. He returned to it with the same passion he had for everyday life. We had a small club totaling around 15 people at any given time of year. Many strong players came and went and eventually I did too. But not before becoming competative with players ranking up to 2000. My chess playing became Gameknot.com and Gameknot.com alone in 05 and some of 06. Most recently I have been training with Chessmaster 7000 and my brother via Pogo.com. My brother Pat and I have had a lot of competition over the chessboard and online over the past few years. Our familial relationship inspires us both and our unique approaches to chess compliment well. His Psychological game is second to none. This blog will bring a new aspect to my game and perhaps start a small community of likeminded players.

No comments: