Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 09



I had an American moment today as I was waiting for a friend to pick me up from a trail head. My keys were in the center compartment chillin with some tapes, along with the shiny spare tucked inside a leather wallet. And the doors were locked. I don't know how they became locked. Lets just say it happened. So sitting on the trunk of a dusty green car, Ipod battery fatigued, at a mountainous beginning to endless trails I had no choice but to soak it all in. And it couldn't have been a more American scene without Abe Lincoln walking out of the woods swinging a Happy Meal. It didn't hit me until a spankin new car with a "Women for Obama" sticker drove up to the trail blasting country music and sporting a curious dog looking out the back. The music really set the scene. A lone dirt road with a crooked reddish "Dust Abatement" sign resting half on some rocks. At least a half dozen small stars and stripes flags sticking out of the ground, waving in the wind in front of an oddly formed middle class subdivision. Rain on one side of the sky, creeping closer and sun on the other, like clouds had never existed. A large white cross maybe ten feet high, to one side, oddly placed and for no obvious reason. No one else was really around, except for the woman and her dog walking past the log fence and bypassing the trial to walk straight up a small rocky hill. I'm pretty sure that's what its all about and I may have just written a country song.

1 comment:

From the patzer said...

Now you only have to compose the music. ;-)