Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pawn Shaman has moved!


To Flagstaff AZ. Sorry for the long delay in posts. Traveling across the country and getting settled in takes a bit of time. Thanks to those who didn't give up on me though. And thanks to Chess Loser for the link in his recent LOLcat post. Snuggles Gambit!

So traveling doesn't leave a lot of time for chess but does leave a lot of time for a chess vacation. Everybody knows a good vacation can boost motivation and concentration when it is all over. Ive purposefully taken some cheescations in the past but this one was more of the Taoist variety. It flowed like an uncarved block, which is as far as my analysis goes. It paid off in spades though when an unexpected game from a local gun slinger fell in my lap.



My Apt. No stalking please.

I have two roommates. One is a gay dude around 30 with an iffy sense of design and an open mind. The other a college freshman in his early twenties who is quite independent and a craigslist ladies man for what its worth. So one day CLM (craigslist ladies man) and I head to the local pub for a brew. The Road.

It doesn't take long to get a little fuzzy on booze at seven thousand feet. Some of you may already know this. After a couple, CLM challenges yours truly to a game of chess. What?! Is this some kind of universal law of chessnerds that we naturally gravitate towards each other. The Law of Social Chess Magnetism: Chess players/nerds naturally progress towards each other socially due to common personality traits and thus similar taste in watering holes and bistros. Sometimes their paths collide but often a strange gravitation occurs where many chessies orbit the same locale completely unaware of one another.

One of many mountain peaks in this area.

CLM brings out a small board from the back showing his familiarity with this particular bar. We set it up, I am black, and I get the mysterious fat green pawn which is aptly named the Leprechaun pawn. We are both feeling the altitude and I express in arrogance that I am not going to let him win, ever. He takes it in stride. I then pull the "bishop and knight in the wrong place" trick to see if he is paying attention and judge his reaction. He noticed and didn't say anything so I switched them back. So far no psychological clues at all. The game progresses and I play Ba3 to block his castling ability and leave my bishop totally exposed. It was a calculated risk, against my better judgement. He forks my king and bishop a few moves after and now a wild attack is bearing down on the black king. He plays haphazardly and I regain lost points by assassinating a slew of pawns. Now he must activate his pieces to equalize the tempo so I pin them in a web of annoyance. One lone green pawn shuffles toward the end of the board until it is too late and he offers his hand in resignation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

cool post, kinda kerouac-y, kinda hunter s thompson-y, kinda pawn shaman-y. are you living in flagstaff, or just visiting? flagstaff has some kick ass mountainbiking, as does sedona, only 30 minutes away....

Pawn Shaman said...

Im living here now. Didnt you used to live nearby this area?

Robert Pearson said...

Great pics, that's an awesome place to live, I've visited briefly a couple of times.